Thursday, January 25, 2007

What is the World Coming To?

Something has been bothering me for weeks. It's not constant; just when I see the advertisements drive by on a bus, or interrupt my valuable television viewing time. Each time these cross my path, I can't help but wonder why we need to see every possible version of a storyline. Book, movie, action figure, and don't forget the musical.

I would have never imagined that Edward Scissorhands and Legally Blonde would be candidates for musicals, let alone the winning candidates. Think of all the other movies that would have suited this genre better. I just can't imagine a man wearing scissor gloves night after night while singing about cutting hair and shrubbery. Even worse, I can't imagine that people want to pay to see this. Do they expect the experience to enrich their lives? Really?

And Legally Blonde: The Musical must have sprung from the choreographed scene "Bend and Snap." Bend me over and spank me, I think it's a terrible idea.

I like to think of the musical as the little sister of opera. I love opera, and I take it very seriously. I don't take lil' sis as seriously, but there is a soft place in my heart for it mostly because it encapsulates the word "music." Some very important work has come out of the musical stage, and it's one of those things that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside just because it's so American. Well, not anymore. I don't want to associate with it. I don't see how music from either of these features will ever enter the repertoire of great music. In fact, this whole situation disconcerts me so much that I'm afraid no good music can ever be written again. All the good music has been written; that's the only excuse for this mess.

The hills aren't so alive with the sound of music anymore.

No comments: