Friday, November 10, 2006

Procrasty Nation

I'm at a point where I can see many Tasks lined up in front of me, waiting to be selected and completed. I could work on my Virginia Woolf Paper. I could work on My Novel, or My Thesis. I could finish my Homework for Monday (or start it). I could settle up with the Florists for the wedding. I could Clean my House. But that is not my reality. I sit here, on my throne of procrastination and rule over these Tasks without force or undue action. I have no expectations of them, except that they remain near to me, fill my court, and worship the possibility that I could master them in a few hours if I wish.

And how do my subjects repay me? They move closer to my arch-nemisis, the Due Date. I have no idea what that horrendous villain could possibly do for them. Due Date calls first to my Monday Homework: "Come nearer, I can make you more significant. I can give you power; move toward my light and you will influence your former master in torturous ways." Because Due Date knows that if one of my subjects moves to his side for good, and passes by, that he will have won.

I cannot let that happen. Yet I always wait for Due Date to call upon my Tasks at hand. Why doesn't he just leave them alone? I've never been given the chance to see if the Tasks of my kingdom will interract in such a way that Virginia Woolf Paper will Clean the House, or if the Florist knows anything about My Thesis. No, the Tasks do not rely on each other this way. Due Date knows this, and he calls them, every time.

No comments: