Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Stand Up For the Little Blogger

I've discovered my new favorite hobby. That is, blogging. It makes sense. I say I'm a writer, and what better way to show it than to flaunt it? (Hey, I can hear you snickering, and I don't like it)

This job isn't as easy as it might seem. You have to get over a strange brand of stage fright. You have to think of something interesting to say. And you have to write in all in a way that is provacative and plain makes sense. I've already received constructive criticism as to how I could make my blog more appealing. And don't you know that I stay up late almost every night sweating over what the next blog topic will be?

Here is a ground rule set by some self-proclaimed guru of bloggers:
Celebrities and other well-known personalities -- actors and entertainers, politicians, corporate CEOs -- are the only people who can get away with "themeless" blogs, because readers will tune in to find out what they have to say about pretty much anything. For example, millions of people will flock to a Brad Pitt or Charlize Theron "what I did this weekend" blog; but no one, besides family and friends, will really care what you or I did this weekend. So, unless you have a very unique writing style or an oddly interesting life, your blog must have a theme -- general or specific.

I object! I do I do I do! It's like this guy thinks he is King Kong, and he wants to run around squashing all the little blog uprisings.

I'll admit it: My blog is THEMELESS! Does that make me boring? Perhaps, and if so, move on to the next one. I happen to think that every now and then I will have something good to say. Sure, this guy is talking about the people who think they can blog every day and make money off of it. But simultaneously, he is crushing the inner writer in all of us.

You see, there has been a problem devoloping alongside this fancy internet world. While we focus on faster, easier ways to communicate, we are losing the art of communication itself. When was the last time you sat down and wrote a letter? And who has time for Christmas cards any more? That's right, only little ol' granny sitting at home (cause she's afraid her computer will take over the world).

The solution? Certainly not emails. Oh no no NO! Emails are one of major problems leading to our communicative downfall, along with it's evil little brother, text messaging. What will set us straight again are little things like blogs. Sure, half of them are terrible. But they'll get better over time. And every now and then, a Blogging Star will emerge over the horizon. Who knows, in fifty years there might be an English course called History of the Blog. I even think this blogging generation could spawn the next Charles Dickens. Imagine, a complex blog interwoven with every blog entry before and after it; a serial of electronic life!

No comments: